Oh Craigslist.

Dudes, can I be really honest here for a second? (Ha! Like you could stop me!)

I have a problem. And it's name is Craigslist. When some people get home from work, they pour themselves a drink, put their feet up, and watch the game. Or watch soaps they got sucked into while unemployed and now religiously DVR. Or maybe they go for a walk.

Whatever. Those are all perfectly valid ways to spend the 6 hours of daily free time our work schedules allow. We all escape in our own ways.

Me? I head to Craigslist and start shopping for an apartment that I hope to soon have, but in truth, do not yet live in. My theory is as follows: When I finally get a place (sweet Jeebus, let it be sooner rather than later!), I'm gonna be all wrapped up in paying, you know, actual rent, and utilities, and all that delightful stuff that is the tradeoff for not having to be a 24 year old person who still has dinner with Mom and Dad most nights. And then I'm not going to have a lot of spare cash to drop on things like furniture and art and houseplants (a more recent obsession, but an obsession nonetheless) and all the things that make your super awesome, parent-free apartment actually resemble those awesome spaces that you've been pinning in the time that you haven't been obsessively Craigslisting.

So a while ago, I made a short list of things I'd like to snag from the clutches of weird neighbors. Things that I was in no rush to find, but if I saw what I wanted, and the price was right, I would bring home and squirrel away. Luckily, my childhood bedroom (yes, the one I'm currently calling home-sweet-home) is ridiculously large. Like, bigger than some apartments large. So I'm doing my best not to fill up every corner of the house with stuff.

Want to see this magical list? Too bad, here's a picture of it anyways.

Yeah--I already had a couch. Sorta. It only had one arm though, so it wasn't comfortable for more than one person to hang on. As in, one person (usually a guest) could snuggle up in the corner of the couch, comfy as can be and turn to address the person (usually me) sitting on the awkward arm-less end, who would usually be awkwardly trying to find that fine line between A. NOT falling off the end of this stupid couch and B. NOT sitting on my neighbor's lap. I mean, once in a while, there was someone on the couch who didn't mind getting snuggly--bestfriends, boyfriend, sisters, whatever, but sometimes you just want to sit casually next to someone while they tell you all about their day and NOT be thinking most about how you can avoid inappropriately snuggling.



Long story short--awkward chaise/couch is headed to a new home (courtesy of Craigslist! It's not all bad, kids!) and I'm hopeful that it's new home will appreciate it and love it, and come get it off my front porch very very soon because it's supposed to rain and I don't really want to try to give away a fungi-fest couch, even for free.

As usual, I digress.

The good news is, I've made serious progress on my list.
The bad news is, I'm the most unfortunate overachiever. Possibly ever.

Because not only did I find a great dresser with fabulous (yes, fabulous) midcentury lines that totally makes up for all the posts that I find that look like this:




OH LORD the pistachio. Who does this shit? It's like the people that live in the Eichler houses in the next neighborhood over who change out the doors so and paint it blue and plant roses and just hope that no one who knows about the history of these houses finds out what they've done. Because really, it kills me. I digress again. (But really!! Who does this?!!! If you want a traditional house with a white picket fence, please don't buy a piece of classic mid-century architecture and attempt to wipe out every interesting detail. It's just wrong. Just buy a different house.)



Anyways. My dresser. Well not only did the Craigslist gods bring me a super sexy vintage dresser, but they (as the gods are want to do) heaped the bounty of Craigslist upon me. The original owners of this dresser were a tiny old couple who had recently passed away, and their son or grandson was remodeling the house. The dresser just "wasn't their taste"--fair enough, so they were selling it. But it was part of a whole bedroom set, and they didn't want to break it up. So I ended up with a dresser, a headboard (also pretty freaking sweet, but not the right size for my current bed, so it's in the garage for now) and two night stands. All in great condition with groovy lines and built of actual wood. Instead of that laminate malarkey. Praise thee, Craigslist gods. That was back in January. My Christmas cashola was well spent, methinks.


Then last weekend, I was just casually browsing CL (by the way, we've all switched to using Grid view, yes? I just learned about this, and it's magic. Magic Magic. Much more efficient!) It was one of those evenings where I'm sitting in the family room with Mom, and we're both on CL (wonder where I got it from?? She's even worse than me.) mocking listings and wondering why people think they're going to get $500 for a hideous 80's pleather couch with busted seams and holes in the cushions, when I stumbled upon a poorly lit image of a nicely shaped yellow/gold armchair. And lo! A matching sofa! And the sofa's really good! Straight arms! No fussy flaps over the legs! Nothing overstuffed! And a cool color that's not quite neutral, but not totally crazy either!



And now they're in my bedroom. Thy work is good, CL gods! They're a bit large for the space, but so comfy, and they'll look great once I get some big white or black and white pillows instead of these crazy things I made in college. And the guy I bought them from grew up down the street, and used to date the girl who lived in my room before we moved in. It's a mad, mad world kids. He even had a truck and delivered them for me, which was bomb, because I don't have a truck and I don't like begging my FWLV (friends with large vehicles) to help me move my purchases.

So that brings the count of pieces of furniture in my room up to:

1 couch
1 arm chair
1 thrift store Burke chair (there's a great story involving my mother and some very unwise driving decisions and this chair, but that's for another day.)
1 thrifted Ikea Stockholm chair--lovingly recovered by one amateur reupholster-er.
1 wooden desk chair (nabbed from Dad)
1 midcentury very industrial chair, snagged from a former mental hospital-rumored inspiration for the Eagles song "Hotel California"-turned art center-turned University basement.
1  dresser
2 nightstands
1 rather large desk that needs a repositioning
1 long white table (snagged from Grandma and Grandpa's storage unit when they were cleaning out)
2 tall bookcases (these were the best Christmas gift ever when I was a kid. So many books.)
1 small bookcase (Also a childhood Christmas gift. Also pretty awesome. It's from Pottery Barn Kids, but's its pretty legit. No bunnies or anything)
1 king sized bed.


IT'S BONKERS. And it's time all my stuff found a better home. Preferably a two bedroom, affordably priced apartment in San Diego's Little Italy. As long as the employment gods are as friendly to me as the Craigslist gods, that's the plan.


Anyways, all these developments make me as happy as little Kai Kai here (half of Takashi Murakami's studio Mascot team--Kai Kai and KiKi), and it's gonna be a fun few months. It'll be especially fun when we have to get this couch OUT of my room again, because getting it in here was quite an adventure (as in we had to take the feet off of it, and we only scratched the door frame once! ...grumble).


No comments:

Post a Comment